Wednesday, June 14, 2006

D'oh

The door to my room has a weird lock that won't let me pull the key out if the lock is disengaged, but the door will close with the lock still engaged. So if I leave it locked when I take the key out and then close it, I'd need the key to get back in (unless I'm on the inside). Since I don't usually carry my keys if I'm wandering around the dorm, I've developed a routine that, theoretically, prevents me from doing anything stupid - locking myself out, for example. Unfortunately, today I failed to follow my routine. Apparently I also failed to notice my failure, because when I got back from microwaving dinner I found my door locked and my pockets devoid of keys. Oops.

Fortunately, the ensuing walk to the housing office gave me plenty of time to contemplate the full weight of my stupidity. I can no longer consider myself superior to my fellow human beings on the ground that I've never carelessly locked my keys on the wrong side of a door. Crap. I'm unspeakably disappointed with myself. The only positive result I can see is that this was a traumatic enough experience that I'm unlikely to repeat it.

But now I'm sad because finding myself locked out was the second most exciting thing that's happened to me since I started work... and the first was my other brilliant discovery of the week: that I left my glasses in NJ when I came back on Sunday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home