Wednesday, January 11, 2006

To appease my mom...


who thinks I've been doing nothing but playing Grand Theft Auto since I got home from school:

This is a plot related to the job I had over the summer. Basically this plot has been pissing me off for a week now. Without explaining neutrino physics in detail it's supposed to show the rate of oscillations of anti-muon neutrinos to anti-electron neutrinos. I have an equivalent plot for regular neutrinos. However, the anti-nu case is annoying because there is a contribution to the background from contaminating regular muon neutrinos oscillating to regular electron neutrinos. This would mess up the plot since the background is dependent on the variable I changed around and would need to be three different sets of bars... After spending a while stressing over the difference in event rates I asked my boss what to do and he emailed me back to the effect of - "try adding the wrong sign events to the signal." Wow... in hindsight that was surprisingly obvious. Duh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home