Sunday, September 17, 2006

The horrible transportation ordeal: Day 2 (more waiting)

Herein you will find the details of my second day of dealing with my non-trip to Chicago.

8:00 am - I wake up feeling slightly better[1]. A check of United's baggage tracking website reveals that my bag has been located and is scheduled to fly back to LGA on Flight 670. Realizing that I gave the agent at LGA my mailing address instead of a building address I call to find out whether this can/should be changed. The agent I speak to checks to see whether my bag was scanned onto flight 670. It was not. She does not know why but suggests that the tag was probably ripped off. I no longer feel slightly better. I'm told that it will be located based on physical description and contents (which I describe) and put on a later morning flight hopefully to be delivered to me sometime in the afternoon. I begin to wait.

11:00 am - United's website still indicates that my bag was found and put on 670. Clearly, it's outdated. One of my suitemates makes breakfast. I feel slightly better.

4:00 pm - I need to run errands. I suspect that if I leave my bag will show up while I'm out and I will need to spend another day stressing out. I leave anyway. My bag doesn't show up while I'm out.

5:30 pm - United updates their online information about my bag. Apparently it's out for delivery and I should have it by 10 pm. Yay! I wait.

9:30 pm - My bag has not shown up yet. I'm increasingly skeptical of the 10 pm estimate. The EC fire alarm goes off. I learn that 20 flights of stairs is a lot, even going down. I am nearly deafened in the courtyard between the stairs and the exit.

9:45 pm - I return to my room. Still no bag. I check my email, apparently my work has been given a lot of attention at the meeting I am not at. As I contemplate calling United to find out what the story is the EC fire alarm goes off.

10:15 pm - Back in my room, I call United. They check with the delivery service which is apparently dealing with some 300 bags and running hours behind schedule. I'm informed that my bag will be delivered to the Safety Patrol Office. This seems odd, because I don't think security can accept deliveries, but whatever. I am given a chance to check with them in person when...

11:00 pm - The EC fire alarm goes off. Ok. WTF? What did I do? Even if I get my bag back I'm not going to be able to shower and go to bed because I no longer trust my buildingmates to not set off the alarm every half hour. I have a minor existential crisis and then go for a walk with my suitemates.

11:45 pm - I return from Kim's where I have spent $30 on new CDs. I check with security to see if anything has shown up. Nothing has, but the dispatcher takes my name and cell # and says he will call me if it comes later.

12:30 am - Hopeful that my bag will arrive while I sleep, I go to bed.

[1] For kicks, I check the flight status of the 8am flight out to Chicago (i.e. the one I would have been put on if I hadn't given up on the whole thing) and it was delayed by an hour and a half.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home