Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Classes... week 2

So I've just finished my first week (plus one day) of classes. The verdict: doing research is more fun. *sigh* And the worst part is that if I slack off in my classes to spend time doing research I'll end up doing badly and not getting into grad school, thereby killing my chances of getting to do research later.

Anyway, enough of that or I'll start prematurely worrying about GREs. My classes are as follows:

Quantum Mechanics - Pretty good. I actually caught myself excitedly taking notes and wondering what was going to come out at the end of a long derivation. I'll ignore the fact that I would have been less surprised/entertained if I'd read the book before class like a good student.

Mechanics - Mechanics is far and away the least interesting topic in physics. Fortunately, getting anything resembling the correct answers on problem sets requires keeping track of directions and negative signs and factors of 2 and being able to read your own handwriting and other similarly mundane things. What's this? I've got an object falling upwards?? At twice the speed of light??? Crap.

Intro. to Comp. Sci. and Programming in C - This class wasn't held last week, so I've only been to it once. I'll suspend my judgement until later.

Intro. to Atmospheric Science - After four semesters of attempting to fit an atmospheric sci. class into my schedule I finally succeed. It's taught in a building off main campus... and run by NASA... so I get to wear an ID badge for security purposes. So far the subject matter is mostly stuff that I only vaguely remember from the thermodynamics section of my intro physics sequence.

Physics lab - Not sure how this is going to go yet. My first day in the lab is Monday. The organizational meeting for the course would have been amusing if I didn't know that I need three semesters of lab to graduate... With all the filling out of things and signing up for things and having large numbers of unnecessary (and redundant) things explained it was almost like watching some maladjusted brainchild of the payroll bureaucracy and the academic advising center fail to save itself from drowning.

Strength Training - Remind me in my next life to not go to a school with a PE req. I think I have tendonitis in my elbows. And I can't find my IcyHot. :-(

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home