Tuesday, March 07, 2006

In which the chronically sleep-deprived protagonist shows signs of intellectual impairment

So here's something to make everyone glad that my day-to-day life at school doesn't involve the operation of heavy machinery, cars, etc. I went to bed at about 4:15 this morning after roughly eight hours of doing quantum homework with a couple friends. I was tired to begin with, so this was not a good thing. I started having problems with scientific notation around 10pm. Below are excerpts from conversations with one of said friends (as well as I can remember them) -

Me: I'm getting 9.99e499... I think this is my calculator maxing out rather than the answer we want.
Laura: Hmm...
Me: 1^500 shouldn't be what we get
Laura: [pause to let me think] ... It isn't what you get.
Me: Oh right.. ha ha... 10^500 would be 1^501
Laura: [pause to let me think] Um, no.
Me: 1 to the... oh right.

And that wasn't the end of it. A few hours later:

Me: I get something or other times ten to the 33.
Laura: That's interesting, it's bigger than ten to the 32 which is what I got from doing this the first way - so that's good. I'm not sure I believe the difference isn't larger than that though...
Me: 10^32 to 10^33 is a fairly large [*] difference...
Laura: [pause while I smile guiltily] ... you mean, like, a factor of ten...
Me: Okay, I think I'm just going to stop talking now.

So later still, when Laura goes, "Hey, I've got a stupid question." I laugh and reply "Yeah, in the overall scheme of things it probably isn't."

Right, so anyway, that was all pretty funny (if also pretty embarrassing). The not so funny part is that there's a midterm on Thursday and I'm clearly at least 4 hours of sleep beyond coherence. Today, I didn't have to do any math (fortunately) but I do feel sort of like I've forgotten the last two weeks of German and several years of English. Tonight, I plan to be in bed by 9.

[*] - To my credit (not worth much now, I know), I realized I was saying something else stupid here. It was just too late to stop.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home