Friday, May 04, 2007

In which the protagonist doesn't drown

So, poor innocent me. I assumed that the last thing I had to do to graduate was take the swim test. This morning I went and dealt with that (and only inhaled a small amount of water in the process...). I was feeling sort of ambivalent about the fact that I will now definitely be leaving in two weeks, but I needn't have worried. No sooner had I finished washing the chlorine out of my hair than I received an email with the subject: "DIPLOMA HOLD!" Yay! Student Financial Services has decided to keep me around. :-D

Ok. They report that I failed to complete my mandatory student loan exit interview. Um... what? I most certainly did complete the online interview. All twenty minutes of it. I got all the questions on their stupid quiz* to see if you're paying attention correct. And I did it before the deadline. So I wandered over to their office and explained that I had a hold but that I'd already completed the interview. The guy working there smiled, looked up my account, read off, "Exit interview: April 23rd," and explained that the interview was in the computers. He sent me to a different office to request that they remove the hold. So, I went to the other office, explained the situation the another guy, who smiled and asked for my ss# (in hindsight this makes me nervous). He cleared the hold and apologized for the trouble.

Now, I didn't ask because I didn't want to be difficult, but I assume their computer system periodically checks stuff like this and automatically applies holds to people who need to do interviews. I'm very curious as to how this backfired today if my interview showed up in the system on April 23rd.

But whatever, it looks like I will be kicked out with my diploma after all. And while I will miss the cheerful incompetence of the bureaucracy here, I think I will move on.

* The sole purpose of this quiz is to ensure that when the university/loan company/federal government comes after you for not paying your loans you can't argue that you were too drunk to read when they explained the rules. An example question:

Which of the following is an appropriate use of your federal student loans?
a. Buying beer
b. Going on vacation
c. Paying tuition and academic expenses
d. Buying a yacht

1 Comments:

Blogger chrisarts said...

Hmpfh. You're overdue for an update.

I should hold out on inflatable rat pictures until one shows up.

24.7.07  

Post a Comment

<< Home